CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, September 26, 2011

An Awakening....

Not the good kind of 'awakening'! Brock seizure beast was awoken Saturday, and his timing was not the best.

Saturday was Avery and Cora's birthday party. Seven girls were to arrive at 1pm to decorate cupcakes, play games, and design t-shirts, etc....

One hour before guests should arrive, Brock was napping in his bed. I was in the neighboring bathroom putting on some makeup and doing my hair. The house was still strewn with balloons, and last minute things---after all, I had an HOUR, right? Brock decided my hour should be spent otherwise.

I heard Brock wake up and kept doing my thing. But soon I heard a sound that makes my skin crawl. I can't explain it. I don't want to hear it. Ever. It is a grunt, growl, whatever vile description you want to give it....it was one of Brock's right-sided seizures. Not the ones that we time and wait for it to pass. This is "oh my goodness, grab the Diastat and plan for a trip to the ER kind of seizure!"

As soon as I heard the noise, I ran in and sure enough my ears were correct. I immediately yelled "JASON BROCK GULLIDGE!!!!!" Jason ran in and saw me giving the Diastat.

So many thoughts instantly flashed through my mind. Here are some of the top few I recall:

1. We have guests coming, there is no way we can cancel the party, the girls would be devastated!

2. If I take Brock to the ER, how will Jason know all the plans I had for the party?

2.5. If I take Brock to the ER, I only have mascara on one eye, I will look silly!

3. If Jason takes Brock to the ER, will I be sane enough to carry on at the party and do I dare let my control freak of a personality let Brock go to the ER without me??? (Yes, I have control issues, refer back to #3)

Once I had administered the Diastat, I loaded Brock into the van. As I was securing the car seat buckles, I noticed the seizure subsiding. Phew. That was a good sign.

These evil seizures have been known to start right back up again so I suggested Jason drive to the ER and if Brock seemed stable enough to come home, just turn around.

Thankfully, Brock returned home (no ER) and we monitored him with his pulse-ox. He did require a little oxygen and was extremely sedated and hungover. Jason was able to keep Brock in his room and the party carried on almost as if nothing happened. ???


Most of Saturday's weather was cool and sunny. All the girls wanted to play outside on such a pretty day!

Here is our crowd. :) They were a fun group of girls!

The star's of the party!
*************************
Also, Brock is increasing back up to 2mL of Valproic acid. We will see by the end of the week how Brock does. This is what I call a "band aid" fix. There is talk of adding Banzel, but according to the doctors, they aren't just ready to add that. The boy is on 5 meds already, which one do we get rid of? If they ask me, I will likely say Vimpat. I didn't notice it doing much and it is the most expensive drug. (As if Banzel won't be?)
Roll the dice, flip a coin, spin the wheel.....either method is probably just as good as the doctor's method for determining which meds to add or subtract.
****************************
Stay tuned for the big day Wednesday! My trio turns 7. Really?

0 comments: