It's been awhile since an update. I just wanted to fill everyone in on Brock's latest 'adventures.'
Monday night he had a seizure. It was a mild one and it stopped after about 10 minutes of giving Diastat. After about an hour and a half, I put him back to bed. No sooner than I did that, I hear another seizure! This time, I gave the smaller dose of Diastat and hoped all would be fine. Nope. Brock started vomiting and I had to plan for a run to the ER.
He stopped seizing, but was very drugged. I had to see if he was getting enough oxygen and proceeded to the ER. He checked out fine. O2 sats were good and blood work was fine. We were discharged after only a few hrs.
The following day he was tired but was acting pretty well. By Wednesday, a cough had developed and that night he was up all night coughing, and coughing! When Thursday morning came around, I knew I had to do something. Brock was breathing fast and not comfortable at all. I again took him to the ER.
A chest x-ray revealed pneumonia! I know most he aspirated during that 2nd seizure and caused this. However, he also seems to be having so much trouble with his upper airway. Dr. thinks there is a croup of sorts in addition to the pneumo they found.
He is inpatient at our local hospital. They are giving him IV antibiotics (Rocephin), as well as breathing treatments of Albuterol and Racemic Epi. The breathing treatments seem to help, but the relief is short lived. Brock gets into these coughing fits and it becomes a whole body wretch with each cough. He is as sick as I have seen him for quite some time. :(
Yesterday, Jason came to sit with Brock and I was able to run home and gather up some things. I stayed home to get the girls off the school bus, then took them for a Happy Meal and on to visit brother bear. They were very excited, but worried about Brock.
We made it through one night at the hospital, but it looks like another is in our future. Brock is on oxygen still and also the IV antibiotics. He is only getting Pedialyte for now since the coughing brings on more vomiting. His gut needs a break before I give him his Nutren Jr.
Hopefully he will bounce back soon and we can once again enjoy the comforts of our own beds.
Friday, February 26, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





1 comments:
Hope he is doing better and you will soon be home.
Post a Comment