CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, December 11, 2010

Ear Tubes, Tonsils, and Adenoids---Oh My!

"I wish this never happened!" ---Cora's heart wrenching comment when I asked how she was feeling today, day 3 post op....

Both girls were very good patients and handled their surgeries quite well, all things considered.

Thursday morning, both girls were still just under the impression that they were only getting ear tubes.....the nurses were all informed to keep things quiet and I also told them to inform anyone else that may need to know.

Well.

The anesthesiologist did NOT get the memo and came in that morning and made the horrid announcement of the tonsils and adenoid procedure. The girls went in to a panic of cries. The Dr. was very apologetic when he realized what he had done. So apologetic that he asked if I wanted the girls to have Versed to calm them down!!!!!!!!!

It was too late for Cora as she apparently drew the short straw, for she was the first to go back for her procedures. Avery eventually calmed by the time the Versed arrived and I chose not to give it. (good thing she didn't get the sedative because she was dazed and confused for a LONG time after recovery!)

Cora went through her surgery fine, but the ENT reported that her tonsils were HUGE and also her adenoids were very large and hard to get. All this could be why she is having a harder time recovering.

Avery also did well. However, the ENT asked me if she had ever had previous procedures? WHAT? Of course not, other than 2 previous sets of ear tubes. The reason for his question was because he couldn't find Avery's adenoids! All this time I was so hopeful that her ear trouble would be resolved if we got her adenoids out.........so much for that if she didn't have any! Her tonsils were not as large as Cora's, but were very pus filled and gross from what the Dr. reported.

I hated to subject my girls to all this, but hearing from the ENT how things looked, I think I made the right decision.

Both girls have orders to remain quiet and heal at home until their post-op appointment on Dec. 16th. They are getting better each day, but both had me very worried. Neither has wanted to eat or drink and I was pushing sips of liquids and seriously threatening a trip to the ER! Last night I started to see a turn around, and today Avery has improved a great deal. Cora remains in a lot of pain and I recently gave her a dose of Motrin. That seemed to be her drug of choice. My guess is that Cora was beat up more with her procedures compared to Avery and she is just taking more to heal.

Day by day......

0 comments: