CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

The Yack Is Back!

Do not adjust your computer screens, this is not a error. Brock really did have another vomiting spell!
Brock was due for a 10:30 am appointment with neurology on Tuesday. I was all geared up to try to find a new combination of medications that could help Brock with his seizures. As I was getting ready yesterday morning, I couldn't help but notice that Brock was sleepier than usual. I went to the calendar and counted how many days it had been since his last vomit episode. 13 days. Hmmmm..... I dismissed my thoughts that he could be getting sick again, but "just in case", I packed extra clothes for each of us, as well as a few towels.
Just in case.
As I dropped the girls off at my mom's house, I told mom I had a bad feeling about Brock. He was trending towards another episode and I was feeling paranoid. The entire drive to Peoria was spent looking back at Brock.....he was in and out of sleep the entire time.
When I parked the van and walked around to unbuckle Brock from his car seat, I heard the rumbles yet couldn't get the towel in front of Brock soon enough. :( Oh my goodness, I felt like I was in a bad dream.
I cleaned up Brock then phoned the Neuro office. I had to ask what they wanted me to do. Brock was sick again. (De ja vu.) "We could admit Brock again?" No way, waste of time. I asked if I could get labs drawn in the office ASAP. "Sure."
We made it to the office where they put us in an exam room right away. Soon, there were nurses there ready to draw Brock's blood. Then there were more nurses because no one could get a vein! Finally the CNP came in and she was able to get a tiny amount of blood and was only going to be able to test for ammonia. Two weeks ago, that level was elevated. I was hoping labs would reveal the same this time.
Meanwhile, we were discussing our course of action for Brock. What on earth could be causing the vomiting about every 2 weeks? The weird feeling that I have is that Brock acts like he is being "poisoned", he vomits until he gets everything out, is better then about 2 weeks later the "poison" builds up and same thing happens.
The doctors aren't ruling out that Brock's valproic acid could be the culprit, so we are slowly tapering off that and replacing it with Keppra. But, another suggestion is that Brock may have Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome (CVS). Yes, there really is such a condition. I've researched it and don't want that to be the diagnosis because there is no cure. Just deal with the symptoms......
I want it to be the Valproic Acid that is causing all our issues and once we get that out of Brock's system he will be done with this crazy sickness every 2 weeks! Brock is also being referred to a pediatric GI specialist. Supposedly he will be able to determine if Brock has CVS. If nothing else, I am happy to have a GI consult because I've worried about what all this vomiting is doing to Brock's esophagus! He is on Prevacid, but I still fear erosion or irritation could be taking place. I'm guessing Brock will have a scope procedure to check out everything, but we haven't yet been told of an appointment time.
Like clockwork late yesterday, around 4pm, Brock bounced back and seemed ok. It was then that I decided to call for the results of his ammonia level blood test.
Are you ready for this?
The sample was clotted and they couldn't even run the test!!!!!!!
All that poking for nothing.........
Brock slept ok last night and is doing pretty good this morning. I do love it that he rebounds so well, yet it just adds to the mystery.
Brock is to begin school tomorrow! I am torn about letting him go. He loves school with the interaction and the therapy and such, so I am considering sending him. However, I will worry my tail off every second he is gone! (good thing the first day is only until 11am!)
Avery and Cora are starting to feel the end of summer. They have been swimming in their pool, regardless of the temperature and don't seem to want anything to do with organizing school supplies or clothes! ;) School for them begins Monday.
Hopefully, 2 weeks from now I won't have to be writing about vomit!
Until next time..............

0 comments: