CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, September 9, 2010

And the verdict is........

The good news is that Brock's urinalysis came back clear--no blood in the urine and negative culture....

The really NOT so good news is that Brock has 3 kidney stones in his right kidney! The left kidney apparently didn't take a good picture, due to gas in the abdomen, so I don't think they are confident it doesn't have stones as well.

I personally know nothing about kidney stones. The only thing I do know is that everyone who has experienced kidney stones describes the pain as unbelievable. I've even had an individual tell me that the pain was worse than childbirth! With this in mind, I have to wonder if Brock's sleepless nights and extreme discomfort was more than hip pain?

In addition to learning that Brock has 3 stones in the right kidney, I was told one stone was 6mm in size. The only reference I have is from the pediatrician. She stated that most stones 5mm or less are just allowed to pass. OUCH!!!!!!!

Our pediatrician referred us to a Pediatric Urologist. They have already called and can see Brock tomorrow morning at 9:30am. YAY! Another trip to Peoria! (insert sarcasm here)
It is great that we can get in so quickly, but the nurse told me that the Dr. would need a disc copy of the ultrasound that Brock had on Wednesday. Her request shouldn't be that big of a deal, but mind you this was 3pm today, with an appointment tomorrow morning! I said I would "try" to get it, but I couldn't guarantee. She didn't like my statement and made me feel like I shouldn't bother coming if I couldn't bring the disc. I asked if she could just request it to be electronically sent and apparently, if she did, it would go to another building and it was too INCONVENIENT for her.

Nice.

Like it is convenient for me to obtain the disc?

Luckily, our local hospital was very accommodating. I usually complain about rude people that don't want to help, but I actually encountered a gal from radiology that will have the ultrasound disc ready by 6pm. I thanked her profusely as she originally said the hospital policy was 24 hours notice to get records. ;)

Thank you whoever you are in MDH radiology!

I'll have to update more after tomorrow's appointment. I have no idea what the plan will be. We assume that the stones are a side effect of Brock's seizure med, Topamax, but that will have to be confirmed. We could be switching out the Topamax to another AED. Pick your poison I always say..............

There actually are some good things going on with the kids. I try VERY hard to look for the good in all the chaos. (Feels like looking for a needle in a hay stack some days!)

Brock attended a full day of school today and is enjoying it so much! He has won over all the people he meets and he came home full of smiles! I love how well they are able to take care of him during this rehab time after his surgery.

Avery and Cora also enjoy Kindergarten. Each are anxious to attend every morning, well, maybe anxious isn't quite the word I would describe them as when I wake them up, but you get the point. :) Everyday I hear something fun and exciting they did in class. Avery especially enjoys P.E and art. Cora's favorites are P.E., Art, Music, and recess---but she "doesn't have much time at recess!" ha. :)

So, until next time............................................

0 comments: