CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

I'm really not making any of this up.....

Mr. Brock just keeps things interesting!

Beginning late Thursday, I noticed Brock was coming down with some cold symptoms. Over the weekend he was very congested and had some rough nights. By Monday, I thought he was acting better and since he had never had a fever, I sent him to school. He had some sinus drainage and some coughing, but overall he wasn't too bad.

Last night he threw me a curve ball. As I was getting him cleaned up for bedtime, I noticed a tiny little scab on his left-leg incision. I'm a picker, so of course I picked it off.....it was no larger than the tip of ball-point pen... When I removed the scab, I noticed some drainage! I then squeezed a little and saw yellow and blood-tinged pus coming from the tiny hole! How gross!!

This caught me so off guard because Brock's incisions have been looking fabulous. Who would have thought this teeny spot would drain?!?! I emailed Brock's pediatrician and she suggested a warm compress to facilitate drainage and wanted to see Brock this morning or at least call the Ortho. Meanwhile, the irritation of me messing with the sore, set Brock into a small seizure and even his leg had several muscle spasms!

I gave Brock some valium for the spasms and he seemed to go to bed just fine. That was until 2am when he was an absolute wreck. His cold symptoms were back with a vengeance and he was coughing his head off and very congested. I rubbed him down with Vicks, then took him downstairs to sit in his chair. He calmed down eventually after I gave him Motrin, but he didn't fall back asleep until around 5:30am. Poor Brock...........

So, now I had TWO reasons to take Brock to the doctor. You know I've got to get my money's worth! ;)

Brock was prescribed Augmentin for a suspect sinus infection and the incision drainage was sent to the lab to be cultured. We won't know for 48 hours what the culture will show. Worst case scenario, Brock may have to undergo another surgical procedure to remove the infection. :(
Please let there be an easier 'fix' to it! I just can't stand the 48 hours of waiting to see what type of infection it even is!

After his first dose of antibiotic, Brock is currently resting peacefully and snoring in the next room.

I'll update when I know something.

0 comments: