Tuesday started off like a rat race. Brock was scheduled that morning to see a new Epileptologist that recently joined his Neurology group. His appointment was at 9am and it is about an hour and a half drive by the time I figure in traffic and unloading Brock. I was cutting it very close because the girls had to be on the school bus by 7:30am. I got B ready and loaded in the van, and also prepped the girls to board the bus. As soon as the bus pulled out, Brock and I were on our way.
Along the drive we encountered construction, farm traffic, and even the road I take to the hospital was CLOSED! Ugh. I had to cut through Bradley University and dodge all the college students scurrying to class. It was inevitable we were going to be LATE!!!
So as I wheeled B into the sub-specialty clinic I glanced at the clock.....10 minutes after 9. Phew! Not bad.
Brock and I sat in the waiting room where I was virtually trying to catch my breath, only to find out that our Doc was running about 30 minutes LATE! Oh the irony...........
When we met up with the Neuro and the new Epileptologist, we discussed Brock's recent flush of seizures. Brock was having daily seizures and some days twice a day in the past two weeks or so. They were the ones that resolve on their own after about a minute or two but were becoming more intense and he had a longer postictal state after each one. I realize that there are several families in my special needs community that deal with far more seizures than Brock, however, it is such a helpless feeling and I think even ONE seizure is one too many.
Brock is currently on 3 seizure meds. Valproic Acid, Trileptal, and Topamax. The doctors feel that Brock is still dealing with a lot of pain and discomfort from his hip surgery and is not sleeping well. Each of those variables could contribute to a lower seizure threshold. Additionally, Brock had gained a couple pounds from his inactivity which in turn could have caused him to outgrow the therapeutic level of some of his meds.
The plan is to once again increase his Topamax....... We will then reevaluate how Brock does after he has more time for his hips to heal.
I was OK with the plan and I really liked the new Epileptologist! We scheduled Brock for another followup in 2 months and we were on our merry way.
Until...........
I changed Brock in the van and I was freaked when I discovered a small amount of blood and what I would describe as white, sandy, grit. What in the world???????????????
On the drive home, I call the pediatrician and she wanted to see Brock. Great. Now what???
I'm the queen of worrying, with perhaps the exception of my older sister (sorry Pam!), so of course a million things were running through my mind. Was it a UTI? That could likely be a reason for the recent increase of seizures.... Then it hit me. One of Topamax's side effects can be KIDNEY STONES!!!
The ped concurred it could be stones and had a urinalysis done and scheduled an ultrasound.
I dropped off Brock's specimen to the lab late yesterday and Brock just had his ultrasound this afternoon-- so of course I have no results yet! (HURRY UP ALREADY!)
There is too much speculation and I don't know what will happen. I'm likely totally reading into what the ultrasound tech said, but I have to wonder if she knew more that she could share.... She was looking at the kidneys and said: "so has he had this before?"
??? Did she see something and wonder if it was a repeat occurrence? She wasn't much for chit chat so I think she saw something..... Anyone agree with me???
Ok, I got ahead of myself. Lets back up a little to this morning.
Today was the girls' school picture day and they wanted their hair curled. Fine. It was also Brock's first day of his new school---he will be attending a special needs school about 30 minutes away. Brock was to be picked up at 7:25am, just 5 minutes prior to the girls....
Well, I was doing one last change of Brock this morning before I snapped some "first day of school pics" when I heard one of the girls yell: MOM, A WHITE VAN IS HERE!!!!!!!!!!!
Seriously? It was more than 10 minutes early!
Luckily Jason was still in the house and I asked (yelled at) him to go out and tell them I needed 5-10 more minutes.
That is when I did a mad dash to get the camera. I was extremely frustrated at the results, but I did capture Brock's first day of Kindergarten and Avery and Cora's school picture day. LOL
Here are my beauties. This did NOT look blurry on my camera! GRrrrrrrr.
Brock-E-Bear was not very cheesy this morning, but he had a GREAT day at school! The faculty/staff captured some super smiles in some pics today. He only attended until noon today due to his ultrasound, but will put in a full day tomorrow. I think he is just going to LOVE it! :)





1 comments:
The girls are beautifull and as always Brock is one handsome Lil Man. Danny used to be on Topamax and had too many stones so we had to change his meds. I am (impatiently) waiting to hear what the test results came so for Brock. Kisses from us!
Post a Comment