CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, April 21, 2011

What month is it?

Seriously, is it April? It doesn't feel like the April I would like to enjoy. Yesterday, as I was driving, I heard the weather on the radio---it stated we had a wind chill of 26 degrees. A wind chill in late April just doesn't seem right.... I wore a polar fleece yesterday! Please bring on some flip-flop weather!

I just wanted to share a few updates since my last posting. Brock and I had a good appointment with the neurosurgeon last Friday. I didn't really learn a whole lot about VNS that I hadn't already been told by the neurologist, or researched on my own. In fact, the Dr. told me that I was "quite savvy." I was flattered, but I think savvy may just be a euphemism for "psycho, crazy-researching mom." LOL! In all seriousness, the neurosurgeon described himself as just a technician and the Neurologist and Epileptologist were in control of making the decisions regarding Brock doing VNS. There was one concern he did have about Brock..... Due to Brock's lack of vision, he often shakes his head side to side. Sometimes more than others, but I've been told it was a self-stimulation to make up for not seeing. It is his "Stevie Wonder" move. But, since the vagus nerve runs up the left side of the neck, the surgeon wondered if Brock's head shaking could be an issue. Several seizure options will be reviewed again on Tuesday when Brock has an appointment with the Epileptologist, and I will see what she thinks about the head shaking concern.

On a side note, I did get a great message from the dietician we met with a few weeks ago. "Due to the misunderstanding, you will not be billed for your visit."
Score!
I guess it paid to make a phone call to complain of the wasted time-- a $20 copay in my pocket. :)

As of late, Brock's seizures are still very frequent. He did go FOUR days without a seizure and I praised that feat at Sunday School. However, not even 2 hrs later, Brock had a seizure! Grrrrrr. So, now we are back to daily or every other day..... It does appear that the seizures are shorter in duration and a little less intense. I question if the Lamictal could be helping, but we just now built up to 2.5 mg ever day after only doing 2.5 mg every other day for 2 weeks. To put that into perspective, Brock's goal is to work up to 30 mg every day. Whatever the reason, I appreciate any relief from those nasty demons!

The girls started their spring break by dismissing early from school Wednesday. Brock attended school today and will have a 4 day weekend. (Actually 5 days with his appt. Tues) It would be amazing if the weather would allow some playtime outside. The day and the forecast is not looking that way. Perhaps our Easter Egg hunt with have to be indoors? :(

Below are some pictures of Brock in a new contraption. It is called a Teekoz harness. I got it from a fellow special needs parent, online, whose son had outgrown it. Sadly, this has set in a closet for about a year, waiting for the room addition to be done and having the right accessories to hang it. I finally got the hubs to install it last night. Brock absolutely LOVED it!! He was doing some deep belly laughing and was grinning ear to ear! I haven't seen such wonderful smiles for quite some time. One such grin was captured in a picture!!--- I'm struggling with my camera not working and suspect I need a new battery. I can't get it locally and haven't taken the time to order online. Meanwhile, sometimes the camera won't turn on, or sometimes it randomly shuts off. You can imagine how frustrating that is, especially when Brock isn't the easiest nor most cooperating subject to photograph! ;)


Brock is giving the girls "fives" and having a ball. They were dancing with their brother bear and he was just lighting up! It was great to see. It sounds wierd, but I like the "triplet" moments like this when they can all be together.........


How 'bout this million dollar smile???? Melts momma's heart..........

ABC wish each of their fans a very Happy Easter. I hope we each can take a moment and remember the reason for this holiday.

Until next time.........

0 comments: