CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, July 23, 2009

Neuro visit=longest day ever.....

Yes, one of the LONGEST days.

I was well prepared for construction going to Peoria, so I allowed plenty of time. Brock and I arrived even a few minutes early for his appointment, but did encounter loads of construction. Nothing compared to the drive home, but first things first.

The wait was minimal and rather than seeing the Neurologist, this appointment was with his nurse practitioner. (She was very awesome.) We discussed Brock and his most recent seizure. All of the lab work wasn't available yet from his past hospitalizations, but the test results pending were crazy in my opinion---checking for metabolic disorders and amino acids abnormalities.....most of which should have been tested for days after birth in NICU. The 'important' test results were fine. Trileptal level was normal, as were all the blood work tests. We discussed adding a new seizure med to go with the Trileptal and she suggested Depakote. It will take 6 weeks to build up to the desired dose and the bummer is that we will have to give it THREE times a day. I have been spoiled by only having 'morning meds' and 'bedtime meds'. Obviously, I will adjust.......

Depakote should also help with some of Brock's hyper activity. The boy really could have used something today. He was off the wall hyper crazy. He knew we were discussing him in the exam room so he of course kept doing whatever he could to get attention. I swear this boy is more typical than I give him credit---he wanted to be the star of the show and needed undivided attention! LOL.

So, blah, blah, blah......we discussed the nature of Brock's seizure and how the other breakthrough seizures had been brought about by sickness unlike this most recent event. The CNP then gave me an entire printout of seizure triggers and what do ya know.....STRESS is a trigger. I'm sure that is what rocked Brock's world over the weekend leading to his Monday seizure. We do our best to keep him in his routine, but he can sense when things are 'off'. Hind sight is 20/20 I suppose.

After the visit, I was out the door with new scripts and a followup in 6 weeks. That was at about 2pm. I was unaware of the long process I would have to get home.

CONSTRUCTION!!!!!!!!!!!!! Getting out of the hospital was a nightmare and I took a different route thinking I would avoid some roadwork. Nope. BIG mistake. Standstill traffic that made a 30 minute drive to Canton turn into an hour. That is when I encountered Walgreens. My favorite pharmacy, but such a love/hate relationship we have. I love the drive-up window----HATE the wait. After about a 15 min wait in line, I was thrilled to hear it would only take 15 min to fill the script.

Brock had a pit stop and we strolled through the store.....he snacked on a yogurt.....then I was all set to get the Depakote and run. WRONG. The prescription was written for Depakote, but gave dosing instructions for a liquid. Depakene is a liquid I discovered and Depakote is a pill. ARE YOU KIDDING ME??? I of course asked if the pharmacist could just override the script as we both knew Brock needed the liquid for his g-tube. Nope. Rules, regulations........... They had to get approval from the neurologist which required Brock and I to kill about an hour in Walgreens while waiting for the doctor to return the call! Brock was fine as long as I was moving, so good news is that I got a nice low impact workout this afternoon. ;) Ha.

We are now home and have consumed an extremely yummy PizzAmore frozen 'za. Oh how I love convenience food when necessary.

I hope all the ABC fans are well. Be looking for future blog posts from our upcoming trip to Michigan! Dare I say we are going on vacation??? We are taking a trip at least. It's debatable how much R&R there will be. :)
Until next time.................

1 comments:

Sharon said...

I had forgotten that in Illinois ---

SUMMER = CONSTRUCTION!!!

In Arizona we average sunshine 362 days a year and they don't stop construction because of lack of the sun so in Arizona ---

YEAR ROUND = CONSTRUCTION!!! :-(

Sorry that it was such a rough day for you but glad to hear that basically the doc visit was a good one.

Have a safe and FUN vacation. Say hello to Jan and family!!

Love, (((Hugs))) and smooches,
Sharon