CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, June 12, 2010

Seizure strikes with a vengeance!

I was feeling pretty good about Brock getting his shorter casts, but that feeling was short lived. Thursday just before noon, Brock started seizing. Not the "innocent" little break-through type he had been having---This was the nasty kind.
Diastat stopped it briefly and I didn't think we would have to seek further help, but it started back up just minutes later and proceeded to increase in intensity.
I had to take B to the local ER. The poor boy was stuck with needles EIGHT times before an IV was started! Meanwhile, I asked if they could just give an IM shot. They gave a shot of Versed, and by the time it kicked in, wouldn't you know they were able to get an IV started!
This seizure lasted over an hour. :(
The good news is that we were discharged after several hours in the ER. Since Brock has a pulse-ox and oxygen at home, they let me just monitor him. Thank goodness Brock's neuro said she trusted me enough so we didn't have to be admitted inpatient. Phew!
We had a followup appointment Friday with Neurology. Brock is now starting Topamax. After some issues with pharmacies and such, he has received 2 small doses and we are working up to his full dosage over the next 5 weeks.
I truly hope he can tolerate this medication and that it will do the job at keeping the evil seizures away!
There are potential side effects, as with any seizure med, but we are just taking one day at a time hoping that Brock will do well with Topamax.
Thanks for all those that keep Brock in their thoughts and prayers. It is very appreciated! :)

0 comments: