Well fellow ABC fans......how many of you knew that miss Cora had a feeding tube/Mic-Key button?? Yes, my little stubborn girl was so strong willed that she wouldn't eat enough. As I was thinking back to how old she was when she got the tube, I recalled writing down the date somewhere (great record keeping in the baby book right?). I found "November 9th, Cora's feeding tube" written on a sheet of paper along with some other milestones of the kiddos.....but as I read it, I realized I didn't know the YEAR. It had to be 2005, but that means that I have been confusing when Brock got his tube. Sister Cora required her's long before Brock, but he was over 2 apparently when he got his.....
The point of all this is that Cora FINALLY decided that she was willing and able to eat orally to maintain her weight, albeit skinny weight, but nevertheless...... I waited for about a year to see that she could get through Pre-K and still be OK. She could always do better with the fluid intake and the amount of food, but she no longer requires tube feedings. Yippee!!! That is until I feared the removal.
Knowing that Cora would have swimming and bathing restrictions after we said Adios to Mic-Key, we decided to have one last Horray at my good friend Dawn's house. It was a cool day for a swim, but the adults were about the only ones that seemed to mind.

Not a huge fan of being in pool pics, but it was a fun day.

The night before the button removal we had to say our "good-byes" after bathtime. Avery didn't miss out on the action

High anxiety in the doctor's exam room. I know I was feeling some butterflies so I can only imagine what Cora was feeling. She did really well. There was some fussing, crying and SCREAMING. But I told her the sooner we finished, the sooner we could pick out a cake for her "Bye, Bye Mic-Key Party!" That seemed to help..... As did the clutching of Ariel doll. : )

When it was all done she came home with a starburst of tape and gauze on her tummy. Avery missed her sister and greeted her with a big hug! I had a tough time restricting food as Cora was to go 6 hrs without eating after her procedure! I think we waited about 4.5 before I let her nibble on some popcorn ... Shhhhh, don't tell doc. ; 0

As if the party wasn't enough....daddy decided to surprise the kids with KITTENS!!! For now we are trying out 2 little Calicos. "Callie" and "Chloe" joined our family. If Brock complains enough of the girls not sharing, we may just have to get a 3rd kitten somewhere.......

The kittens are a hit and Avery and Cora won't put them down! Cora's "Callie" is a little more tolerant of all the handling. Check out Cora "letting" Brock pet her kitty.

Ahh, the cake......All along when I was trying to convice Cora of getting rid of her Mic-key button, I was suggesting a Mickey Mouse party. She was game until the night before when she said, "mom, when I get my mic-key out, I want a Dora party instead....." Whatever makes you happy I said. Ironically, when we arrived at the bakery dept, she saw the cake book open to Ariel. You can see what we came home with. I guess it is a woman's perogotive to change her mind, right? :) I also need to note that Cora was asked to pick out what she wanted to eat for her party----first she said BuffaloWildWings, then Chinese food. In the end she said both----we ate both. LOL

Avery was a little overwhelmed at times by all the attention sister was getting. (She likes to be in the spotlight.) She found comfort with the "roses" on the cake and stated they were her's since she is "Avery Rose!"
I still don't know how to get the videos to post where I want them, but check out Cora's farewell to her tummy companion......Crazy girl. : )
We have a week of the gauze and bandages....then we take them off and see how healing is progressing. Wish us luck that all goes well and she won't require surgery. So far so good!!!!!
We have a week of the gauze and bandages....then we take them off and see how healing is progressing. Wish us luck that all goes well and she won't require surgery. So far so good!!!!!





5 comments:
OK, first off.. the music... CRACK ME UP! Second, YEA CORA!!! You're such a big girl now!! Third, KITTENS?!?! Wow! You've been busy little bees! I'll try and call you later this week to catch up!
Forgot to say...Oh Dawn!! I miss her too!
HOORAY!!!! Way to go Cora :) Your new bandage looks awesome as well as your cake!
And the kittens are too cute! Peanut will adjust (eventually) and I am sure that the kittens will help put him in his place. LOL
AMAZING!
Way to go!!!
Awwwww- Bye Bye Mickey!!! Cute video-there too sweet!
Post a Comment