While in recovery, I became anxious that Brock had missed his noon seizure medication since the surgery went longer than first anticipated. The nurse there said that once we got to Brock's room it would be taken care of. Upon arrival to his room I questioned the nurse and she didn't know of the order for his med. I keep asking and nagging and finally get word that it was "entered into the computer wrong." Ok, so fix it. He needs it. We are talking seizure medication here not a multivitamin! I did not give up. Anyone who entered the room was asked when Brock was going to get his med. Housekeeping even knew Brock needed his med.
In the meantime, Brock started waking up more and became very agitated with pain. So....I pushed the call button for the nurse and requested pain medication. Then 15 mins later I had to do the same thing. Guess what, I did it again after 10 more min. Finally, I flagged down a random nurse in the hallway and basically had a cow!
I said it was unacceptable that it was now 3:30pm and Brock had still not received his NOON SEIZURE MED. I also said that I had been calling and waiting for pain medication and had a boy crying out in pain! "The reason the medication hasn't arrived is because the computer couldn't handle mLs." Are you kidding me? How often has Brock been in the hospital? How often at this particular hospital?? I always give the med info in the exact same way. Besides, last I checked I thought hospitals were to be run by individual people and NOT flippin' computers!
They didn't put a straight jacket on me, and eventually after about 10 more minutes, the nurse asked me if I wanted IV Fentanyl or Lortab for Brock. OF COURSE I WANT THE IV MED THAT ACTS IMMEDIATELY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ahhhhhh..........Brock got some Fentanyl and was able to relax. Then, what do you know? The Valproic Acid finally arrived.
I have since simmered down a little and was able to some food from the little kitchenette here, but mark my word I am NOT done with this battle. Why do I spend over 10 minutes on the phone with a nurse to Pre-Register Brock and get asked "what medications is Brock currently taking?" And WHY do I have to arrive 2 hours before surgery to go through Pre-Op and again provide current medications, doses, and the time given???? What is the point if the computer screws it up and people can't seem to have the intellect to over-ride it?
My word of the day: UNACCEPTABLE
Brock continues to whimper and be in pain off and on. I am so mad his pain got out of control and now has been hard to get on top of. He has had Lortab now and we are waiting for that to provide some relief. Poor Brock has had a rough day. Pray for his comfort tonight and for a better day for all tomorrow.
Brock's full leg casts. I chose blue--when given the other choices of PINK or PURPLE. (I laughed to myself because those are my ABC colors.) The slits in the front will allow for swelling--expansion joints if you will.





0 comments:
Post a Comment