CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Setback

I must have aged ten-fold this morning and earned a head-full of gray hair with what Brock did.

He had a very rough night with lots of pain and muscle spasms. I was insistent that he be comfortable, which meant round the clock pain meds. However, a dose of Valium possibly too close to his dose of Morphine caused him some distress this morning.

I watched his oxygen sats drop, but he was able to bring them up. He continued to do that, but when I saw the numbers decrease one by one, I ran to the hallway to seek help from a nurse. She ran in and we found Brock not breathing!!!! Code Blue was called and soon there were over 30 people in our side of the room.

He was given Narcan to inhibit the effects of his narcotic pain meds and started to come around. Brock was placed on oxygen and moved to Pediatric Intensive Care Unit.

PICU is where we remain for now. Brock is stable, but had some struggles with his airway and stridor. He was given a nasal trumpet to help keep the airway open. That has helped and I don't think we are looking at intubation. It is concerning that his heart rate continues to be elevated, but I am told he is stable. He is sleeping a lot and hasn't really been "with it" since before surgery.

I am told that Brock should be stepped down into Intermediate care later today if all goes well. I actually feel more comfortable here and even joked that Brock pulled his stunt just to get his own private room. ha.

I'll do my best to update when I can. Hopefully Jason will make it over here for lunch and relieve me for a little while. My goal is to seek out a shower, where I hope to wash away some of this morning's drama down the drain.

Until next time...........

2 comments:

Lori Osero said...

BROCK!!!!!!!!!!! Way too much excitement for today. We're following you and keeping you in our thoughts. Give your sweet momma a kiss when you get up from your nap....I think she's gonna need it. We've done the code blues too and they're NO FUN! Danny's re~surgery is all more difficult on him, but all n all his doing ok. Take Care ~ Danny's favorite color BLUE...I had to show him your new casts. Have your Mom sign it for us....Best wishes your Friend ~ Danny O.

DESJ and Company said...

Oh my heavens!!!
Thank G-d he's ok. I hope he continues on the upswing. Can I tell you a secret? I prefer the PICU-I think we get much better care there.